Uzodinma, Iweala(2006) Beasts of No Nation. Paperback | Harper Perennial | ISBN: 978-0060798688 | $12.59 | 176 Pages
A Beast of No Nation is a socially conscious film based on the 2006 book by Nigerian-American author Uzodinma Iweala who writes about children who were snatched away from their families to fight as mercenaries. In war-torn West Africa, nine year-old Agu (14 yrs. Old Abraham Attah) escapes the slaughter of his family, only to become the protégé of a rebel leader (Idris Elba) who schools him in the brutal ways of the rebel militia.
This excellent movie will definitely receive Oscar awards consideration in the upcoming year. Peter Travers from the Rolling Stone quote “Hard to watch, impossible to forget” was the best response that I found to describe this movie. Check it out on Netflix’s. MrPhillyLibrarian
Bibliography on Children Soldiers theme Books
- Beah, Ishmael. A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier (Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 2008).
- Bok, Francis. Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America (St. Martin's Griffin, 2004).
- Brett, Rachel and Irma Specht. Young Soldiers: Why they Choose to Fight (Lynne Rienner Publishers, Inc., 2004).
- Briggs, Jimmie. Innocents Lost: When Child Soldiers Go to War (Basic Books, 2005).
- Dallaire, Romeo. They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers (Random House, 2010).
- Denov, Myriam. Child Soldiers: Sierra Leone's Revolutionary United Front (Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- Eichstaedt, Peter. First Kill Your Family: Child Soldiers of Uganda and the Lord's Resistance Army (Lawrence Hill Books, 2009).
- Gates, Scott and Simon Reich. Child Soldiers in the Age of Fractured States (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2009).
- Honwama, Alcinda. Child Soldiers in Africa (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2007).
- Jal, Emmanuel. War Child: A Child Soldier's Story (St. Martin's Griffin, 2010).
- Kahn, Leora. Child Solders (PowerHouse Books, 2008).
- London, Charles. One Day the Soldiers Came: Voices of Children in War (Harper Perennial, 2007).
- McDonnell, Faith. Girl Soldier: A Story of Hope for Northern Uganda's Children (Chosen Books, 2007).
- Rosen, David M. Armies of the Young: Child Soldiers in War and Terrorism (Rutgers University Press, 2005).
- Singer, P.W. Children at War (University of California Press, 2006).
- Wessells, Michael. Child Soldiers: From Violence to Protection (Harvard University Press, 2009).
Ana’s Playground (2009)
Blood Diamond (2006)
War Dance (2006)
Invisible Children (2003)
Children in War (2000)